RACHEL CERQUEIRA DENKTAŞ
Washington, D.C. and Ankara
Rachel Denktas is active in the firm’s public international law and commercial law practice. She has assisted in litigating cases on behalf of the Republic of Turkey, foreign national banks, and North Cyprus. In addition to litigation work, she is involved in consulting foreign states and commercial entities on legislative and commercial affairs. She has experience in all aspects of U.S. sovereign immunity law.
Denktas received her Juris Doctor from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 2011, where she was a Managing Editor of The Ohio State Law Journal. She completed her final year of law school at The George Washington University Law School in Washington, D.C. While in law school, Cerqueira served as a judicial extern for the Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. Denktas received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Georgetown University in 2006. As a student at Georgetown, she participated in the McGhee Center Program for Eastern Mediterranean Studies in Alanya, Turkey.
From 2006 until 2008, Denktas lived and worked in Istanbul, Turkey where she interned at the U.S. Foreign Commercial Service. There, she conducted research for government market reports and for private businesses looking to enter the Turkish market. Following this internship, she, along with a co-partner, established two companies: a translation and editing company and an educational consulting company.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2011, Managing Editor, Ohio State Law Journal.
- The George Washington University Law School, Visiting Student, 2010-11
- Georgetown University, B.A., 2006
- Program, Boğaziçi Universitesi, 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Assembly of Turkish American Associations
- American Friends of Turkey
- Panelist, State Department Critical Language Scholarship Professional Opportunities Panel, June 2013.
- Turkish, Conversational